Old February 20th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Mark Roberts[_2_] Mark Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default KSTN, Stockton, Calif., leaving the air

David Kaye had written:

|Looks like they stayed til the bitter end. How many Top 40 or CHR or whatever
|stations are still on AM? Hardly a handful. I was surprised over the years
|that they never switched the formats between the stations, but I guess the FM
|format was just too lucrative (at least in the past, anyway).

That's what I always understood. I suspect there are no Top 40/CHR
stations left on AM in the United States. That would be hardly
surprising; anyone under 50 no doubt views AM as a talk-radio
medium.

| According to one of the Record articles, the AM may come back on the air. I
| suspect it will, since evern the most marginal AM stations are still finding
| ways to stay in business. Think KVTO, KWG, etc.

KVTO does it the time-honored way, by time brokerage. KWG
is an all-Catholic station, Immaculate Heart Radio -- the
same as 1260 in San Francisco.

I am amazed at how few AMs have gone off the air. In an ever
noisier and more crowded band,the smaller, weaker stations have a
harder time being heard. The new generation of ultrasensitive DSP
radios has come along too late to help.

--
Mark Roberts - E-Mail address is valid but I don't use Google Groups
If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.