Old February 24th 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
TOF TOF is offline

Default Choke balun on an elevated ground plane

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:52:03 -0800 (PST), Dave wrote:

On Feb 24, 12:51*am, Dave wrote:
On Feb 23, 11:13*pm, TOF wrote:

I have a (home built) 40 m ground plane with the base elevated about 8
feet and with 7 elevated sloping radials. *The 50 Ohm feedline drops
straight down the 8 feet and then runs on the surface of the ground.

Would *a choke balun at the feed point be advisable?

W0BF

it wouldn't hurt, but unless you have problems with rf on the feedline
getting back into the shack i wouldn't bother.

p.s. it might also help if you are picking up local noise that is
being conducted on the shield.

The location is in the boonies of northern MN and is generally very
quiet. I am more concerned about disturbance to the radiation
pattern.