Old February 24th 10, 05:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

Default Voice of Nigeria - what's up with their audio?

On Feb 23, 9:50*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
I was home sick today, so I was listening to V. Nigeria on 15,120 KHz
from about 2000 to 2100z. *A potent signal to say the least, would
have been easy armchair copy except for one thing - their audio is
terrible. *The sound is either muffled, or overmodulated, or the high
tones are omitted, or something, but the distortion makes an otherwise
great African signal almost unlistenable much of the time. *Any ideas
what their problem might be?

Thanks,
Bruce Jensen

This is a problem they had for a long
time. My guess : equalization is way overdone. The low frequencies
are dominant and human speech sounds like rumbling elephants. Some
D.Welle transmissions used a similar technique over the years. May be
V.of Nigeria is doing the same. On the other hand, overmodulation may
cause something very similar,perhaps. It does make extended listening
very
uncomfortable.
Just checked their live audio stream on the website and even that was
not that great. The highs are attenuated significantly above 6KHz or
so,and there is an annoying heterodyne[!] that is an obvious porblem
in the studio equipment.