Old February 25th 10, 08:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jeff[_10_] Jeff[_10_] is offline

Default Two coax as substitute for open line

ve2pid wrote:
In the ARRL's Antenna Book 21st ed page 24-21, we see that if we
connect the two shields of the coax cables together, we obtain
'Shielded parallel Lines' . In that case, the resultant impedance is
simply the sum of the characteristic impedances of each coax.

So, there is quite a difference between the two independent coax I
mentioned in my first message (we connect the shield to the inner
conductor at each of its ends) (A) and the 'Shielded Parallel Lines'
case (B).

I am trying to understand why and it is the reason I posted my first
message...

In (A), the Z=276*log(2S/D) applies, so the Zo of each coax does not
matter.. but in (B), Z=Zo1+Zo2, so the value of each Zo matters.

I am sure that in case B it is as for resistors in parallel, ie 2 50ohm
cables in parallel give you 25ohms Zo.

Jeff