Old February 27th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default External ferrite bar for 2-6 MHz?

On Feb 26, 5:06*pm, "bw" wrote:
"bpnjensen" wrote in message

On Feb 26, 9:44 am, wrote:

On Feb 26, 9:54 am, Kevin Alfred Strom
wrote:

A word of caution! Be extra careful with the existing
rod(loopstick). The wires on it are so fine that it may brake off very
easily. RShack used to carry thin enamelled wire of various sizes.
Experimenting is fun and sometimes the results are much better
performers than ready made products. Actually, there is a company
called Palomar Engineers in California which speacialized in small
loop HF antennas,ferrite cores of various types and rf baluns.Fairly
high quality products.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Arthur - I noticed that when I opened the radio up - those
connecting wires are no thicker than spider webs. *I certainly agree
with Kevin's idea about trying some twists around the internal
ferrite; I'm sure it would be quite helpful, but the reason you just
suggested gave me pause.

Anyway, I think first I will try an external parallel ferrite bar
linked to my outdoor antennas, maybe with a variable cap for tuning,
and see what happens. *That certainly can't hurt, and who knows?
Maybe it'll help...or not! *I noticed a specific ferrite bar item at
Stormwise that might be the ticket, with recommended number of turns
for various freqs of interest.

BJ

Several websites have info on this. Both ferrite and larger air core loops.
I don't have the links handy, check Bill Bowden

Thanks, bw, I'll check that right now :-)