Old February 28th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kevin Alfred Strom Kevin Alfred Strom is offline

Default Been listening to KDKA AM radio in digital

NX211 wrote:
Been listening to KDKA AM radio in digital. What a crappy signal. It
switches back and forth from digital to analog and during the
transition the receiver makes this screech noise that sounds like the
receiver isn’t resolving the digital signal correctly. When in full
digital the high frequencies are so dirty sounding, I guess due to the
slow bit rate, that I have to ask myself, what’s the point? When it
goes back to analog the signal cleans up and sounds great. Tell me
again why would anyone want this?

The people who forced IBOC on this country were billionaire media
moguls who wanted a digital system that would preserve the signal
superiority of their stations -- in other words, a system that would
keep the existing power/quality hierarchy intact.

What they did _not_ want was a new digital band that would open up
many new channels, all with essentially perfect quality and equal
signal-to-noise ratios.

They didn't care very much about whether their IBOC digital system
performed well.

They got what they wanted.

http://3950.net/2009/12/hd-radio-doomed-from-the-start/

With all good wishes,