Old March 8th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Radio Australia, missing transmissions

On Mar 8, 7:45*am, (Mark Zenier) wrote:
Both last night (March 8, 8:00 UTC and later) and the night before
Radio Australia seems to be two transmitters short.

Missing were the transmissions on 9590 kHz (8:00 UTC to 16:00?)
and 9580 kHz (8:00 to 14:00), 7240 kHz (14:00-17:00?). *

Also not heard was the earlier transmission on 9660 kHz and perhaps
the Tok Pisin program on 9710 kHz. *(Insomnia radio, accuracy not
guaranteed).

Transmissions still present were 13630 until 9:00, but after that the
only English language programming was on 9475, aimed as Asia, but weak
and noisy here in Western North America (Seattle). *And Tok Pisin on
6020 and 5995.

6020 shifts from Tok Pisin to English at 11:00 or 12:00 UTC, but often has
strong interference from (last I checked) Radio Veritas in the Philippines
broadcasting in Chinese at 12:30-14:00 (have not yet checked if this is
still happening).

And when 6020 (English) shifts to 5995 at 14:00 it's getting stepped on
by one of the American christian stations for the first hour. *(The guy
that sounds like Mr. Rodgers on Quaaludes. *I've never bothered to figure
out if that is "Pastor Pete", or "Harold").

6080 kHz is there around 14:00, but weak.

Mark Zenier *

I guess I noticed the same thing, but I was too sleepy and ready to
crash to pay much heed - I just chalked it up to poor band conditions
(which were not quite that bad, since RNZI on 31m was decent if not
stellar). I hung it up shortly after 0800, so I cannot vouch for
anything in the wee hours.

You didn't happen to give Mongolia a try last night, did you, by
chance? It's that time of year...

Bruce