Old March 8th 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default PING: Dave R. Elecraft K3

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:04 am, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
Hey, Dave, thanks for bringing up the Elecraft K3 (I'm sure my wife
will thank you as well ;-) I just read the Receiver Topics section of
the page, and I can hardly believe my eyes. It looks like a RX dream
come true, even the XMTR notwithstanding.

I just have two questions - As I understand it, once in awhile it is
desirable to download improved software and programming from
Elecraft. Does this radio need to be always connected to a PC
otherwise, or is it perfectly fucntional as a stand-alone unit?

And, as configured in basic format, will it receive and properly
filter AM, or is that an add-on?

Save your money. Buy yourself a nice used Drake receiver.

Your wife may still love you.

OK. Why?

I'm searching for the right words. Perhaps D. Peter might help.

At any rate, one can spend just so much, and after one reaches a certain
point, it ain't gonna help.

It has to do I think with the 'law' of diminishing returns, or something like
that.

dxAce
Michigan
USA