Old March 8th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Old "Boat Anchor" tube receivers vs. Solid State receivers?

On Mar 8, 8:17*am, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:

Clive, I have an Icom R75, and although some will diss this radio, I
can tell I enjoy the "bells and whistles" a great deal. *The stability
and crispness of the signal (both driftwise and in terms of AGC and S-
AM) that can be achieved with this radio is quite nice. *The S-AM on
this set is only so-so, from what I understand - I would love to hear
what the really good S-AM (on a more recent Drake, for example) sounds
like.

Bruce

When I used my R75 for program listening I used the SSB mode. *The SAM
is useless without the Kiwa mods, which I don't have.

Bingo. Actually, the Kiwa mods solve quite a few problems (The S-AM
is only only one of them; the AGC time constant and the constricted
audio are two others). The mods considerably improve the sound and
performance on both AM and SSB. Now, I can enjoy Radio New Zealand on
Friday nights with good audio and no fading distortion :-)

BJ