Old March 8th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Old "Boat Anchor" tube receivers vs. Solid State receivers?

On Mar 8, 2:02*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

* When I was only shooting a D70, I put premium glass out front and
it made a dramatic difference in the finished image. When I put the
same glass out front of the D300, with twice the pixel count, I got
a little better color. Somewhat better resolution on the monitor.
But nothing compared to the improvement of changing glass.

* To bring this back to topic, it's not very much different than
putting better antenna on the front end of your radio.

If that extra glass means you won't be toting it as often,
such that some unexpected opportunities are missed,
isn't that in a way like having too much antenna,
such that those rare catches get buried in the overload?

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Some of us travel heavy. I wind up schlepping my tripod and 20 lbs.
of camera into the mountains more often than I care to admit (or
contemplate). OTOH, bigger isn't always better when it comes to glass
- although it can help.

Bruce