Old March 8th 10, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Old "Boat Anchor" tube receivers vs. Solid State receivers?

On Mar 8, 3:14*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 8, 1:23 pm, wrote:
On Mar 7, 6:56 pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:

My receiver is stable to less than a twentieth of a cycle over several months.
(Using WWV as a reference)

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

What radio can do that? And what is the master oscillator consist of-
does it contain a cesium/rubidium stage?- Hide quoted text -

I keep wondering how you'd measure such a thing. *Leave it on for
several years to see if the oscillator drifts one hertz?

It might drift more that a hertz over that extended time frame,
I'm too impatient to see.
Usually check it about every other month on a boring Sunday.

Not to be too precious, but that does not sound like the best use of
one's hobby dollar to me ;-)

I don't dwell on stability to the point of obsession,
It's just one of many assets the radio has going for it.
And the hobby dollar cost, once made, is better justified
for the totality of features than any single one.
At least I'm not constantly pouring cash into the black hole of some other
hobbies. I used to be heavily into film photography g

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42- Hide quoted text -

(sigh) the black hole of other hobbies - mine are myriad! and none
are cheap.

BJ