Old March 9th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK[_6_] BDK[_6_] is offline

Default Old "Boat Anchor" tube receivers vs. Solid State receivers?

In article 0161192e-0219-4616-bc73-
, says...
On Mar 8, 12:18*pm, BDK wrote:

My NRD-515 tunes in 100 HZ steps and SSB would be really annoying if it
didn't have the (modified) delta tune for pitch control. 10HZ is fine,
but 1HZ, is better.

If you have perfect pitch, it is essential! :-D

Bruce
*******
-

Apparently I do, since I've never met anyone who is as picky about pitch
as I am. When I was doing RTTY, I had a scope, but it was just something
to watch that was neat looking, I could even tune in FDM stuff by ear. I
got a 5" scope at a pawn shop not too far from where the old Universal
store was for $60. It had a blue filter on it, and visitors were always
impressed by the giant + sign.

I miss the RTTY stuff. I did have about 5 years of that and FAX before a
lot of the good stuff disappeared in January 1990, and about 10 years
later, a lot of SITOR stuff was gone too. There was some really funny
stuff on the marine channels. I have a huge, like 20 feet long, printout
of a list of "issues" on a cruise ship, including the chief engineer
going nuts and attempting to attack people with a wrench. The "issues"
ranged from not enough lifeboats, and the ones they had were rotten, the
food coolers were almost dead, and a bunch of food had spoiled. There
were no life preservers, no fire extinguishers, and on and on, and on.

After a while, I thought, "Why don't they sink the damn thing?"
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.