Old March 9th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Radio Australia, missing transmissions

On Mar 9, 7:23*am, (Mark Zenier) wrote:
In article ,

bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 8, 7:45 am, (Mark Zenier) wrote:
Both last night (March 8, 8:00 UTC and later) and the night before
Radio Australia seems to be two transmitters short.

Missing were the transmissions on 9590 kHz (8:00 UTC to 16:00?)
and 9580 kHz (8:00 to 14:00), 7240 kHz (14:00-17:00?).

I guess I noticed the same thing, but I was too sleepy and ready to
crash to pay much heed - I just chalked it up to poor band conditions
(which were not quite that bad, since RNZI on 31m was decent if not
stellar). *I hung it up shortly after 0800, so I cannot vouch for
anything in the wee hours.

Well, 9590 was back today. *And 6020 is still a mess at 13:00.

You didn't happen to give Mongolia a try last night, did you, by
chance? *It's that time of year...

There used to be a whole string of their regional stations on 5 Mhz,
but I thought that they had been shut down, so I've not tried recently.
(One really quiet night a couple of decades ago they were all there
laid out just like in Passport).

There's also a whole lot more noisy electronics in my neighborhood since
then, making that band a bit irritating to monitor, even with a noise
canceler box.

Mark Zenier *

I hear ya about the noisy electornics. Yecchh.

Mongolia is on 12 MHz now; not perfectly situated band-wise for 2-3 AM
(U.S. West Coast) listening, but once in awhile you catch it just
right...

The listed 12.085 MHz freq is still good from 1030 to 1100z in
English...

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/mrtv/frword.html

....and here is their outdated website which may still have good
information on it :-)

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/mrtv/

Bruce Jensen