Old March 18th 10, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Cushcraft MA5B Noise floor?

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:01:07 -0000, "David"
wrote:

Hi Richard

I read on the internet, if I use 5x FT-140-43 rings stacked and then loop
the coax through 6 times it would make a good 1:1 choke balun. What do you
think about this type of choke balun for the job?

73 de David

Hi David,

Sounds great if you are doing it.

Are you?

If you are not doing this, or some close approximation, then local
noise is backfilling your received signals (and you are degrading your
antenna's directivity by the same lack of isolation).

If you are doing this, then you may be suffering from a ground loop.
Of course, you can suffer from this by simply trying to fix a ground
loop (there is a lot of myth out there). More could be said, but I
will await to see what you have in place.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC