Old March 19th 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
dave dave is offline

Default Opinions about Yaesu FT-817ND transceiver?

Mark Conrad wrote:
In , Dave Platt
wrote:

Well, low-power rigs *can* drive an external amplifier... just not all
the way up to legal-limit in one step. A 5-watt Yaesu could drive a
15 dB linear amp up to around 150 watts of RF output

Ahh, that is great, 100 watts of RF will keep me happy.

In the old days I had a neighbor whose porch light went on/off
when I was active. I had to crawl under his house and bond the
joints of his water pipes to get rid of his blinking porch light.

Seems to me the upper power limit in those days was 1,000 watts,
but I probably remember it incorrectly.

Thanks for the latest regulations, my 2010 ARRL handbook
has not arrived in the mail yet, due any day now.

You'll notice the K3 is the #1 transceiver in every class (depending on
configuration). While it costs twice what the Yaesu does, it can grow
with you. It is made in USA and is the best radio ever made.