Old March 19th 10, 10:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default FM antenna curiosity

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:22:42 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

So I installed the antenna on the outside of the boat and the radio inside,
now one station I listen to is weak, but if I unplug the antenna and let the
center pin touch ground of the connector on the radio it comes in great.
Just curious why it is working this way.

Hi Mike,

You moved the antenna.

Most loss of signal as you describe comes from not being a weak
signal, but the mixture of signals that combine negatively at some
spot due to multiple reflections. When you replaced the line cord as
antenna for this better implementation, you also found that "sour (not
sweet) spot." This can occur for any frequency with the equal
likelihood of reflections combining negatively. Move your antenna a
quarter wave and see what happens.

Your description of your having an aluminum boat almost guarantees a
multitude of RF-bright reflections. At short wavelengths, this also
guarantees many, many regions that will exhibit destructive (as well
as constructive) combinations of those reflections.

Put your antenna as far away from the superstructure or hull as
possible. This will reduce the reflection path differences.

BTW, the mod did cure the computer hash.
Mike

FM has what is called a "full quieting" effect. It would suggest that
your first signal levels were just barely above the level of full
quiet (and perhaps not even that good).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC