Old March 23rd 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] is offline

Default MFJ products

mikea wrote:
o MFJ-259 antenna analyzer; I like it a lot. It's not perfect, but it
works well enough for my purposes. Bought used.

Do you have the user written manual? It is in German and AFAIK never translated
but a lot of it is pretty obvious anyway. For example the specs to make
your own "grid dip" coils can be figured out, once you understand the metric
wire sizes.

o MFJ-557 code practice oscillator with key. CPO is OK; key is trash.

If this the plastic based one with the bent metal U shaped bracket, it
was in the 1960's the key a lot of novices first learned to use. It can be
adjusted to work (how well is a matter of opionon) and IMHO should be
given to a boy scout or someone else interested in learning morse code.

You may be lucky, they might actually go far enough to come to the same
conclusion and buy a real key. :-)

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.