Old March 24th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Priest Priest is offline

Default Amazing 1954 Radio Show Find Highlights Mississippi History

On Mar 23, 6:37*am, Gregg wrote:
Yeah, good to hear. I've been very lucky IMO , as you know as a kid,
to have been fortunate enough to listen to Marty& Joe and those years
of The Big Red Machine. Of course Joe has now passed on but hearing
Marty's voice over WLW you know spring is in the air.:-) Did you at
one time live here in Cincinnati?- Hide quoted text -

I've never lived in Cincy. I was born and raised on the plains of
Nebraska and way back when that made for lots of excellent
electromagnetic radiation. This was before cable and ESPN, satellite
dishes and hundreds of tv channels so all I had was radio and books
and it was wonderful. I was a great dxer and didn't even know the term
existed or what it was. All I knew was that I loved listening to my
inexpensive made in the USA radio that caught every signal on the AM
dial that mattered and lasted forever in spite of being dropped and
knocked about regularly..

700 WLW boomed into Nebraska from Cincinnatti, 1020 KDKA and Bob
Prince broadcasting Pirates games from Pittsburgh, 1030 WBZ and Boston
Bruin hockey games from Boston, 1120 KMOX and Harry Cary (yes he used
to be the Cardinals play by play radio man and then Jack Buck) from
St. Louis and Dan Kelly's St. Louis Blues hockey broadcasts, 750 WSB
Atlanta Braves, 1100 WWWE Cleveland Indians and Herb Score and Pete
Franklin sports talk before it was fashionable, 1080 KRLD Dallas Texas
Rangers, could even pick up Giants games on KSFO in San Fransico when
conditions were right.

And lots of good talk radio before the cartels ruined it...Herb Jepco
and the Night Caps on KSL out of Salt Lake City, Bill Barker on 850
KOA Denver, Jack Wheeler on KDKA after the Pirate game, etc. etc. etc.
The list could go on and on, every city had their own local hosts and
callers and it didn't take long before you felt you personally knew
all of them.

Yes I was truly blessed to grow up before radio was destroyed.