Old March 25th 10, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Roger[_8_] Roger[_8_] is offline

Default Type of Cable to Use on 2m&70cm

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:25:53 -0900, You wrote:

In article
,
VK4FDGM Daryl wrote:

Hi ,
I was wandering what type of Coax I should Use on VHF&UHF .
Bye
Daryl

Look at Beldon 9913 for long runs... has Good Spec's and cheaper than
Heliax or HardLine.... We call it PoorMan's Heliax....

I avoid 9913 like the plague since lightning hit the system, blew off
all the water proofing, and within 15 minutes I had water running out
of the 2-meter rig. I was using it on all bands. At that point I took
it all out and gave away all but about 200 feet out of over 1500 feet.
The 200 feet finally went into the dumpster.

I used to take the stance that if it was properly water proofed it was
fine, at least until that lightning strike. I now use mostly LMR-600
and some LMR-400 with Davis BuryFlex for the flexible runs.

As for Heliax and Hardline, they are probably the cheapest as there is
a lot of it floating around. I had two 100 foot runs of 1/2" Heliax
with connectors given to me along with nearly a full 1000 ft roll of
3/4" hard line.

Check the local swaps and you may find 1/2" or 7/8" Heliax or even
larger. Check with the local two way outfits as they may have systems
they pull out. I picked up a whole pick up truck full of 7/8" Heliax
and half a dozen connectors that way. I think the whole thing ran less
than $100.

But I still have to repeat, I'd not install brand new 9913 if it were
given to me. 9913F OTOH...:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)