Old March 25th 10, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
You You is offline

Default Type of Cable to Use on 2m&70cm

In article ,
Roger wrote:

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:25:53 -0900, You wrote:

In article
,
VK4FDGM Daryl wrote:

Hi ,
I was wandering what type of Coax I should Use on VHF&UHF .
Bye
Daryl

Look at Beldon 9913 for long runs... has Good Spec's and cheaper than
Heliax or HardLine.... We call it PoorMan's Heliax....

I avoid 9913 like the plague since lightning hit the system, blew off
all the water proofing, and within 15 minutes I had water running out
of the 2-meter rig. I was using it on all bands. At that point I took
it all out and gave away all but about 200 feet out of over 1500 feet.
The 200 feet finally went into the dumpster.

I used to take the stance that if it was properly water proofed it was
fine, at least until that lightning strike. I now use mostly LMR-600
and some LMR-400 with Davis BuryFlex for the flexible runs.

As for Heliax and Hardline, they are probably the cheapest as there is
a lot of it floating around. I had two 100 foot runs of 1/2" Heliax
with connectors given to me along with nearly a full 1000 ft roll of
3/4" hard line.

Check the local swaps and you may find 1/2" or 7/8" Heliax or even
larger. Check with the local two way outfits as they may have systems
they pull out. I picked up a whole pick up truck full of 7/8" Heliax
and half a dozen connectors that way. I think the whole thing ran less
than $100.

But I still have to repeat, I'd not install brand new 9913 if it were
given to me. 9913F OTOH...:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)

That is fine for you, who live in Lightning prone areas, but for the
rest of the world, and for "Me" who lives where lightning is, "a Once or
twice in a Lifetime occurrence", you concern is not really a problem.