Old March 26th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Type of Cable to Use on 2m&70cm

"You" wrote in message
But I still have to repeat, I'd not install brand new 9913 if it were
given to me. 9913F OTOH...:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)

That is fine for you, who live in Lightning prone areas, but for the
rest of the world, and for "Me" who lives where lightning is, "a Once or
twice in a Lifetime occurrence", you concern is not really a problem.

It is not the lightning problem with 9913. It is no better or worse for
that. The problem with 9913 is the center is hollow and if water ever gets
into the coax it will fill up like a water pipe. The 9913F has a dialectric
that is not hollow and water can not collect inside it.

I had some 9913 up not long after it came out and after about 10 years took
it down when I moved. I just cut into it and no water came out of it. I
went back up on a new tower with 4 runs of the Davis burry flex. The loss
at VHF is not that more than the 9913 and I will not use the LMR series as
the center is copper plated aluminum. I just do not like that even if there
is nothing wrong with it.