Old March 26th 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

Default Just got a new old radio...SX-190

On Mar 26, 1:34*am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 3/26/10 24:31 , bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 25, 10:21 pm, "D. Peter *wrote:
On 3/26/10 24:15 , bpnjensen wrote:

An Allied SX-190. *This radio, while not quite the best thing out
there, was pretty darn good for 1970's vintage, and had some nice
features - HAS some nice features - that helped the DX.

Just got me one in really nice shape. *Clean as a whistle, sensitive,
and everything works. *The guy who sold it to me did some of the mods
on it to sweeten the thing up, and it sounds great. *It doesn't have
all the modern bells and whistles, but it has decent selectivity with
its mechanical filters, tunes easily and accurately to within 0.5 kHz
(try that with almost any other consumer-grade analogue RX) and it
sounds clean and clear with its matching speaker.

Overloads a little bit on 31 meters, and maybe on 41 and 49. *Easily
resolved by putting the AF Gain all the way up and using the RF gain
for volume control.

Just listened to VOA Botswana relay on 9885, BBC from Cyprus on 12035
sandwiched between VoRs powerhouses 5 kHz up and down, and a bunch of
other good stuff. *Hams sound like they're in the room with me. This
thing is FUN, and is a real pip :-)

Bruce Jensen

* * Nice. I always liked that one. Never could quite put a deal together
on one.

* * Great find.

Thanks, yeah, it's pretty nice. *Just a fun, old-timey and very
attractive radio. *It is the first radio I have that my wife noticed
and approved of the aesthetics ;-)

* *Then it's doomed.- Hide quoted text -

I am afraid, as Peter may be foretelling the future...