Old March 28th 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Kenneth Scharf Kenneth Scharf is offline

Default Tube socket holes

7 pin mini tube sockets mount in 5/8" holes
9 pin mini tube sockets in a 3/4" hole.
Octal sockets vary, some mount in holes as small as 1", others require
1 1/8" to 1 1/4" holes.

You CAN find drills up to 1" in diameter with 1/2 shafts for use in a
drill press, but they are not cheap. I have a 1" drill that gets used
rarely.

Used Greenlee socket punches up to 1.25" (or larger) can be found on
ebay at reasonable prices. They can be cheaper than a new drill bit of
the same size!

Holes saws which have a drill bit for a pilot hole surrounded by a saw
blade bent into a circle will do a good job if the work is done on a
drill press. They cut well into aluminum or wood, but will dull quickly
into steel. Back the metal to be cut with a scrap block of wood and
clamp the work to the drill press table. Run the drill press at a low
speed (200-500 RPM) and use a little oil for lubrication. I've cut
holes up to 4" diameter into panels for meters and CRT's with these.

Bill M wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 26, 7:08 am, Bill M wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I was going to start a valve project and wanted to purchase some hole
saws for cutting out the socket holes. What sizes will I need for 7 9
and octal sockets?
I don't remember the sizes, but holes were never sawed for tube
sockets.
Instead of using saws, which are very difficult to control and make
a mess
of everything, hole punches were used.
Punches are certainly the way to go if you have some or can borrow some.
Otherwise its kind of expensive to have to go out and buy some for a
one time use.

An alternative is the 'unibit' type of drill bits. They make them large
enough for 7/9 pin sockets. See Harbour Freight.

GL with your project.

-Bill

Ive tried the Uni-bits. They are OK as long as you don't go 1 step too
far. Unfortunately I have done that a couple of times,

Jimmie

They also have ones now that are not stepped for 'fine tuning' your
holes.

-Bill