Old March 31st 10, 05:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Grundig 750 or Grundig G3

On Mar 30, 9:07*pm, SC Dxing wrote:
Operator Bob,

I guess the questions I am asking. Does having separate USB/LSB switch
make a difference when listening to sideband signals? Will having
separate USB/LSB along with synch detection make that much of a
difference trying to listen to weak AM signals both on AM and
shortwave?

The Sony 7600-SW also is coming to mind.

Anyone have any hands on with the 7600-SW?

Thanks a mil

Separate LSB and USB, if properly implemented, makes a big
difference. Instead of just providing a beat frequency oscillator
(BFO) to allow you to tune in one or another sideband, the separate
sideband provision is a more dedicated electronic approach. The
result, in my experience, is a much cleaner signal. It definitely
helps with weak signals. Does the G5 not do this for you?

The SD for the AM is a nice feature for smoothing out a fading
signal. The best of all worlds would allow for a double-sideband
Synch along with sideband-selectable synch. This would allow for the
greatest versatility when trying to get a good copy on a fading
signal. Judicious use of the ssb can get you about the same results,
but it isn't quite the same.

Bruce