Old March 31st 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default amateur vs pro

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In John Ferrell writes:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:08:49 -0700, Jim Lux
wrote:

A couple recent comments:
1) An amateur is a person who is

An amateur is one who does it for fun!

I do it for satisfaction and sense of accomplishment, certainly not
for fun.

Isn't deriving satisfaction and sense of accomplishment part of fun? It
is for me, anyway. I suppose one can do it and get paid, being
professional, and still have fun. So maybe I should clarify and say
"who does it for *only* fun".

Further the status of amateur doesn't imply the right of doing
it less consciencious than a professional.

I don't know about that. Aside from regulatory requirements, as an
amateur one can do it however well or poorly one wishes, according to
one's own standards.

As a professional, the implication is that if you don't do a good job,
you won't get paid. Mind you, more than one person has paid another to
do a job and had a poor result. So, in the individual instances,
professional is no guarantee of quality. However, in the long run, an
incompetent professional will starve. And, if it's an activity for
which professional licensing is required (Engineer, Doctor, Lawyer,
Accountant, etc.), there's more requirements.

73, Eddi ._._.