Old April 2nd 10, 12:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Gregg Gregg is offline

Default 50,000 Watts of Tradition: WOWO 1190 AM

On Apr 2, 4:00*am, dxAce wrote:
Priest wrote:
Very cool site has the history of radio station WOWO 1190 AM; photos
of studios, transmitters and staff through the decades and audio clips
of station IDs, jingles and interviews.http://www.historyofwowo.com/

I've sat in the studio while Bob Sievers (SK W9FJT) did his morning program
and hung around the transmitter site when I was a kid. My grandparents farm
was a stones throw away, and on occasion Grandpa would mow the area around the
towers.

Steve, that is pretty close to my story with WLW, though I never
actually "physically" sat in the studio.

My grandparents/greatparents built the first house in a area called
Pisgah, which is right down the road from - - at the time - WLW's
studio and their bad ass looking antenna emblazoned with the "WLW"
letters (still there and used) on it. Of course with the VOA Bethany
Shortwave Station right by it - it was unbelievable to see as a kid -
I had no idea what shortwave radio was when I was five/six yrs. old.

At night time it was nothing but lights and wires as far as you could
see and the power from the VOA overrode my dad's old car radio when he
pulled over to the side of the road - that's when it was explained to
me by my Dad what the VOA was about. That is pretty cool childhood
memories you have of there, I wish I could have sat in their studio as
a kid.