Old December 8th 03, 07:44 PM
Dave Platt

sounds like a BLT .Do a google search you should find some info.

The Norcal BLT (which is what I believe you're referring to) is a
Z-match type of tuner. It uses a single toroid to create a coupling
link between the unbalanced input and the balanced output.

The BLT's toroid is wound with a single primary (having a single fixed
tap), and a pair of secondaries for low- and high-impedance loads. It
does _not_ have the sort of multiply-tapped-and-switched coil
architecture that the original poster alluded to - these are usually
used in unbalanced-configuration T and L tuners. The tuning is done
with the two capacitors (a series input cap, and a cap which shunts
the primary toroid winding), and via a DPDT switch to select the
appropriate secondary winding.

I don't know whether the OP's components and kit were originally
intended for a multiply-tapped-inductor T tuner, or for a Z-match such
as the BLT, but it sounds likely that they could probably be adapted
to either (possibly with the addition of a few extra junkbox
components).

I built a Norcal BLT a few months ago, and I've been quite happy with
it... it's a nice little QRP design especially when modded to support
coax-fed unbalanced antennas (add one BNC jack and one SPST switch).
The lack of multiple inductor taps and a tap-selection switch is a
definite plus, convenience-wise. It seems to tune my tri-wire fan
dipole to off-resonant frequencies just as effectively as my big QRO
tuner (based on the Ultimate Transmatch design, according to the guy
who built it).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO