Old April 4th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Wimpie[_2_] Wimpie[_2_] is offline

Default PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna

On 4 abr, 14:45, BobS wrote:
Anyone using the PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna please advise if a
ground is necessary. Will using the PAR without a ground be any better
than a 50' random wire? I live on the second floor of a condo and only
can use a very thin hidden wire from my receiver to a nearby tree. No
ground available. I read all of the glowing reviews of the PAR but all
of them are using a ground. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury. Any
other recommendations appreciated.
Thanks...Bob

Hello Bob,

Using a ground provision may reduce interference from domestic
equipment inside the building. Without the ground the cable braid will
"receive" interference from inside your home and transports this to
the antenna.

Are you able to connect the coaxial braid directly to a large metallic
fence on the balcony? If so, this will serve as a large local ground.
You may connect other large metallic structures to each other to
enhance the local ground (and reduce interference). This will be
better then using the safety conductor of the mains.

You may use a snap-on ferrite or other large ferrite core on the
coaxial cable that runs from outside to your receiver.

I don't know the price of the PAR antenna, but you may experiment with
just 40..50" of wire directly connected to the center conductor of the
coaxial cable. When the noise exceeds the receiver's noise, the
additional transformer will very likely not result in better signal/
noise ratio.

Depending on the lowest frequency of use, you may add an inductor
between center and braid to reduce the stress on your receiver caused
by nearby lightning strokes. Off course it is best to disconnect the
antenna in case of nearby lightning.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS