Old April 5th 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Gregg Gregg is offline

Default 7440KHz

On Apr 4, 12:55*am, bpnjensen wrote:
On Apr 3, 4:56*pm, Gregg wrote:

On Apr 2, 10:56*am, bpnjensen wrote:

On Apr 2, 12:21*am, wrote:

On Apr 1, 11:35*pm, ai8o wrote:

I listened to a program of vocal music *on 7440 Khz from 0252z until
the transmitter went off at 0300z.

A woman was speaking in badly accented Russian(??) for a moment just
before sign off.

I understand Polish (slowly) and can recognize Russian, but the
woman's language was a very stong regional accent or dialect, not what
you would expect from a Muscovite.

Does anybody have any idea of who or what I was listening to?

* *Indeed, it is actually slightly more understandable to a polish or
czech native speakers than some others in the slavic language family.

Here in California, R. Ukraine usually puts in a good signal. *On many
evenings, a decent signal from Europe, easily hitting S-9. *Only
Croatian Radio beats it, and that is relayed via Wertachtal,
Deutscheland.

Last night, however, Radio Vaticana was a steamroller - for 30 minutes
at 0250z it was "next door" on 7305 kHz, 41 meters - without doubt the
strongest reception I have ever had from their Vatican City
transmitter site. *I did not bother to try the 6040 Canada relay.

Bruce Jensen- Hide quoted text -

Hey Bruce, now that the Passport To World Band is history - are you
using the WRTH (or whatever it's called)? This week I'm going to pu
that book for the first time, many in here say it's even better the
PPWB - or do you use info off the net? Curious minds want to know.;-)

Gregg, I have had copies of both in the past, and for what I did,
PPWBR was the better book. *WRTVH was and is tremendously useful,
however, with a different format (stations are listed by nation rather
by frequency). *The EIBI and Aoki schedules, plus Prime Time Shortwave
on the internet are perfectly good subs for PPWBR in that ascending
freq format, but as far as I know, only WRTVH compiles all of the
radio station mailing addresses in one place. *I cannot recall if they
have transmitter site addresses too - PPWBR did, and for die-hard QSL
collectors, that was worthwhile.

I do not have the 2010 WRTVH - I think I will get one soon.

How about you?

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

No doubt I'll get one. :-)