Old April 6th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default velocity factor, balanced line

Bob wrote:

Another question -- I'm thinking of cutting a 10-foot section of
balanced line to test. Should I count the bared pigtails of the line,
which I will attach to the analyzer's coax output, as part of the 10
foot length? Or just count that part of the line where all insulation
is in place?

Bob
k5qwg

I think 10 feet is going to be too short to make a good measurement,
because the lengths of such things as the pigtails and the MFJ are a
substantial fraction of the overall length. I recommend using the whole
length of line you have. You might have to be a bit creative in keeping
it away from other conductors, but that'll give you the best results.

When you do make the measurement, maintain the integrity of the line to
as close to the impedance meter as you can. Then measure the line to the
impedance meter connector.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL