Old April 6th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob[_24_] Bob[_24_] is offline

Default Measured Velocity Factor of balanced line

Thanks to all for the advice on measuring velocity factor.

I suspended 53.25 feet of JSC #1317 18-AWG balanced line in the
backyard.

At a velocity factor of 1, the MFJ 269 claimed an electrical length of
59.5 feet, which would give an actual velocity factor of .89.

After four or five more tries, I nearly replicated it with an
electrical length of 59.6 feet.

To verify the results, I tried entering the .89 velocity factor to get
the length of the line, and it kept coming in at a 26.6 foot length --
oh, well.

Bob
k5qwg