Old April 7th 10, 10:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wimpie[_2_] Wimpie[_2_] is offline

Default Cophasing Two Full-Wave Loops?

On 7 abr, 01:47, WA2SI wrote:
Hello everybody,

I hope everyone had a very Happy Easter. I have a spare 2:1 current
balun and would like to use it to feed a vertically oriented single-
band full-wave loop. I began to wonder; Can one feed two vertically
oriented full-wave loops perpendicular to each other with a common
feed point? Any opinions? Thanks in advance. As always, take care
es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Hello Bert,

When you have identical loops, with same orientation, and distance
between them is less then 0.2 lambda, you can connect them in
parallel. Current in both loops will be the same (magnitude and
phase) and far field radiation pattern will also not change (with
respect to a single loop).

When the distance between the loops wire diameter, you will
experience an increase in useful bandwidth. Impedance at current
nodes will not change that much, but impedance at voltage nodes will
reduce. Due to the mutual coupling, you will experience some drift in
resonant frequency.

Feeding in opposite phase will give a complete new radiation pattern,
significant reduction in useful bandwidth and possibly reduction in
radiation efficiency.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
in case of PM, don't forget to remove abc from the address.