Old April 7th 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] is offline

Default PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna

Wimpie wrote:

Universal Radio mentions USD 66.95 for the antenna. It is probably
worth the price, but it doesn't mean it is better then a home brew
construction or give better reception with respect to your current
setup.

As I said before, a friend of mine has their ham version, which is what I
base the following comment on. The quality of construction and materials
used is very high. It is not an antenna that your average guy is going to
duplicate for a lot less money.

Assuming I could figure out the wiring for the loading coil and the traps
(his has traps, I don't know if this one does), I could duplicate it,
but it would look like something someone with knowledge, but little skill
had built (becuase it would be built that way).

If I were in the US, I would buy one. Since ordering things like this is
difficult, and delivery services cost a small fortune (an order sent via
UPS or FEDEX would cost at least $50 and probably $20 in taxes), I would make
one an live with what I had. :-)

The transformer/common mode choke has same functionality as the PAR
antenna. In addition I can disable the 1:9 impedance transformer
(while the common mode filter remains). I use a narrow band tunable
preselector to avoid "noise" from intermodulation products.

Can you describe it better? a 1:9 balun as it were is easy to make, and 1:4
VHF TV/FM radio ones are getting harder to find, but are still out there.

Thanks, and 73,

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.