Old April 9th 10, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Bamboo as antenna parts and supports

On Apr 9, 1:25*pm, Roy Lewallen wrote:
wrote:
A friend of mine planted a bamboo shoot in his side yard, now it is
taking over his and his neighbors yards. *Told me to cut down all I
want. *Had planned to use it for bean poles and plant supports, then
it occurred to me: *quads, moxons, spiderwebs -- this stuff is really
strong and stiff. * Some canes are 12-16 feet long.

Anybody have experience with bamboo, especially used as semi-permanent
end supports for dipoles and inverted vs?

TNX
Paul KB1GEJ

Bamboo used to be very commonly used for quad spreaders. I think the
practice was to put spar varnish on them to make them last. I'll bet you
could get some tips from an old Handbook, say '70s and earlier.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Ive built a few antennas using bamboo including a 5/8th CB antenna
that was up for at least 10 years. All did not do so well. Painting
before the wood had a chance to thoroughly cure was a problem as a
matter of fact it was worse than not painting them at all.

Jimmie