Old April 15th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Ultra Lite BCB DXing

bpnjensen wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:30 pm, John wrote:
On Apr 14, 12:24 am, wrote:

Is there a certain measurement of a radio for it too be deemed fit for
an Ultra LIte?

Would the Radio Shack DX 399 be in that category, it's pretty small,
not as small as some of those little Sonys.

Anyone in here other than John P. that indulges in that specific type
of monitoring? I've been thinking about it.

Yes there is - see the ulralight website:http://www.dxer.ca/

ultralighting is great fun - have a go

JP

I think maybe many of us start that way, although I came in the side
door - I had a Realictic Astronaut-8 multiband radio, loads of fun and
certainly sensitive enough, but all-in-all just a basic single-
conversion inexpensive portable radio with an AM (MW) band. Back in
rural Massachusetts, and thinking that it was a great rig (I never let
reality get in the way of fun :-) I managed to get stations - using
just the internal ferrite, mind you - from all of New England, all the
Central Atlantic states, all of the Ohio Valley, every Canadian
province out to Manitoba except PEI, most of the Mississippi Valley,
Texas, Kansas, MO, N&S Dakota, Wyoming, Utah (KSL was easy, like a
local) and once managed to snag LA in California.

Herb Jepco's "Nightcap Club" on KSL was sappy, but a nice excuse to
call in to a distant radio station. WBZ's Larry Glick all-nighter had
a much more interesting twist to it - in terms of sheer interest and
tongue-in-cheek fun and silliness, he beat the pants off Art Bell and
George Noory :-D

Bruce Jensen

As I recall, the old standard 6 transistor radio was quite adept at
BCBDXD. Tons of RF/IF gain, ready access to the IF tuners, and a
ferrite bar antenna with killer nulls and lobes. I could hear just
about every station in the West at night as I recall.