Old April 16th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Ultra Heavy BCB Dx'ing

On Apr 16, 6:34*am, dave wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
9kc wide in AM mode is the best I can manage.

For shortwave, 2.4 which is what most ham rigs deliver is too narrow,
4 is about the best and 6 is better if there is no adjacent channel
interference.

BCB AM works best with wider filters, depending upon what's close by.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, here I get a half a dozen or so BCB AM
stations, lots of SWBC (mostly on 40m) and the FM band has a station every
100kHz.

None of my HAM rigs have a sync-det, but a couple are stable enough on SSB to
accomplish the same effect. Only one of the SW portables has sync-det and it's
nice because it does DSB too on occasion when that mode is advantageous.

Is it really needed for broadcast band AM? I see very little if any fading
and can not remember it every being a problem.

I still don't know of any amateur rigs that tailor their coverage to BCB
although there are plenty that include it in the 30kc~30Mc spread.

I don't think there are any. It's not something the customers want and
ones sold in the US generally have extra front end antenuation for the
BCB.

They have to have the US amateur band plan restrictions superimposed
for type acceptance to be sold as an amateur HF transmitting device
in the USA (Usually deactivated by diode removal).

That's only for transmit. Very few countries restrict reception of anything
below 30mHz.

I use long outdoor omni antennas on all my amateur radios for AMBCB.
But I do have a tunable loop that works great with the SW portable.

I use a 20 meter long random wire with my r5000 and a 6 meter (high not
band) aluminum pole on my ham rigs. My SPR-4 works fine with the pole.

Geoff.

Really? *Selective fading is a major issue here on mediumwave.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, here too - ever since I can remember - not only for the nighttime
DX, but also for day signals from relatively local stations.