Old April 17th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

Default Disabilities and jobs in broadcasting

John T wrote:

When I was a student at the Ron Bailie School of Broadcast in the old
420 Taylor KBHK building we trained in some of the original 1930s NBC
control rooms.

And did working with record cutting lathes and the NBC chimes help you in your
broadcasting career? Fun though it may have been if I'd paid a bundle to go
to a private broadcasting school I'd have wanted to be trained on equipment
that I would typically deal with.

The only station I found that had old ET equipment from the 30s was KCHJ in
Delano, largely because after Charles H. Johnes died in 1968 the family wanted
to run the place like a museum. KCHJ wasn't a typical radio station.

I was rather upset when I was at CSM that we had to deal with antiquated black
and white equipment and just one camera with a zoom lens at KCSM-TV.

While we learned about equipment that was fairly state of the art on the radio
side (KCSM-FM), we learned zilch about programming because Dan Odum was so
fond of his block programming. Such training prepared us for...uh...KFAX,
KEST, and other also-rans, but didn't prepare us for KFRC or any other station
that was going anywhere in the market.

Of course, the concept of broadcasting schools is moot today, given that there
is simply no need for them anymore, but the equivalent might be going to a
computer school and learning how to program on punch cards.