Old April 17th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
John Higdon[_2_] John Higdon[_2_] is offline

Default Disabilities and jobs in broadcasting

In article ,
(David Kaye) wrote:

And this isn't unlike other stations. Today's radio stations are computers
like people have at home, mixing boards like one might see in a DJ booth at a
nightclub, though not as sophisticated, transmitters are in distant locations
that nobody but the chief engineers visit. There's really not much to see.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Sure, turntables are gone, as well as
tape recorders, but the stations still do the same things and the people
who work there are still human beings who work in production, on the
air, and deal with remote equipment. I have always been willing to take
people to the transmitter sites, some of which offer the most impressive
views of the Bay Area.

Sure radio has changed in the way it is technically produced, and those
who have resisted those changes have fallen by the wayside. But at those
stations that still offer local programming designed to serve listening
audiences, what goes on inside the studios would be of interest to
anyone still fascinated by radio.

Hell, I'm a seasoned veteran of over forty years and I had the time of
my life at the Cure-A-Thon. And that's not to take anything away from
the stations I work for, which are constantly coming up with new ways to
do programming, in the studio and out in the field at remotes.

As with anything else, broadcasting is what one makes of it.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400