Old April 19th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

Default Disabilities and jobs in broadcasting

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

This is true, but it's also a really bad thing.

We can wish for things to be like the good old days or we can embrace change
and change with it. Those who long for the good old days eventually wind up
as bitter folks, muttering to themselves or babbling incoherently.

I happen to like jazz. I have put on over 400 live shows in the past 10 years
showcasing all kinds of interesting music, much of which didn't find an
audience because it's not hip-hop and it's not garage rock. But then I live
in a real world and realize that what I'm doing is in the fringe. I know that
I'm not going to sell out any 1200 seat venues with the things I book.

I could be commercially successful as a promoter and book hip-hop, garage
rock, and "dance music", or I could continue on my fringe track and enjoy what
I'm doing, even if it's often more a hobby than a money maker.

Today's radio is what it is.

What makes it sucessful, though? Do people really go out of their way to
listen to it, or do they just happen to turn it on because it's the loudest
thing on the dial as they tune by and it happened to be playing a song they
like?

I think people listen to KOIT because it plays familiar tunes in a
non-offensive way. Years of success have proven that people don't
particularly care for chatter, news, or much else beyond the time and a
weather forecast.