Old April 19th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
John Higdon[_2_] John Higdon[_2_] is offline

Default Disabilities and jobs in broadcasting

In article ,
(David Kaye) wrote:

But you didn't even know that your own stations test their music before
playing it. You thought they operated on hunches. If you didn't know this
fundamental aspect of today's programming, there's probably more things about
modern radio that you don't know.

I dare say. Anyone who thinks he knows everything is deluding himself on
a grand scale. However, unless you are asserting that I suffer from
diminished faculties, I would imagine that I am in a far better position
to absorb and assess the state of broadcasting's art, in any department,
over one who hasn't been near a broadcast position in a couple of
decades, give or take.

That "fundamental aspect" you refer to was something I discovered on my
own through casual across the hall inquiry. To me, it was a minor point.
But I guess I can understand why you cling to it as some sort of
evidence of my abysmal knowledge of the broadcast industry. You don't
ask if the air is any good when it is all there is to breathe.

Okay, I went to school with Mike Amatori. I want to be as supportive as
possible, but unfortunately, when it comes to production he's fairly blind to
modern ideas and techniques. His stuff, unfortunately, sounds 40 years out
of
date.

Mike is at the top of his game. His creativity is on display for all to
hear, all the time. I have yet to hear one single piece of production
from you. You'll excuse me if I tend to give a bit more weight to his
industry views than I do to yours. With all due respect, of course.

Frankly, he's not very good. His delivery is singsongy. He makes
little use of music beds, no use of sound effects, speed changes, etc. Heck,
there are spots he could do with multiple voices, back and forth banter, lots
of things, but he just knocks out the same old same old day after day.

Then you're not listening (and I think you have made it very clear that
you don't, at least not to KGO). You have pretty much the same view of
my work in the industry as well, but then I just consider the source.
Criticism from one who is not in a position to know is not taken very
seriously.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400