Old April 24th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Greg[_8_] Greg[_8_] is offline

Default 2 letter calls a dead loss/incompetent administration

Its a dead loss. The WIA's guidelines on callsigns are not very clear.

If the callsign is available you should have the right to apply for
it, just like when the ACMA administered the callsigns. These
callsigns are clearly not allocated on the first come first serve
basis, but on some other arbitrary set of rules that nobody knows.

If you look at the history of the 2 letter callsigns allocated you see
a clear preference towards clubs and its officials, one off
individuals are low down in the preference ranks. The callsigns are
not being administered in way thats fair to the broader amateur
community.

I now several people who have applied in consistent manner multiple
time. One person actually lodged several applications within 1 hour
of the callsigns been listed. He lives in the same post office zone
and the applications were mailed with the same day. You can understand
his skepticism.

It would have been far better if the callsigns administration was in
the hands of some independent body not related to ham radio. A
simpler fairer impartial system would have to use a automated secure
online immediate transaction system., just like they sell tickets. In
the past it too 30 mins for the ACMA to allocate a call why the WIA
takes weeks is beyond me.

What i have experience so far, is that I have little faith in WIA
allocating these 2 letter calls. I wonder if the process is open to
legal independent scrutiny? Does the ACMA audit the process I wonder?