Old December 11th 03, 06:24 PM
Bruce Kizerian

Default Remote Cutoff Pentodes in Regens

I have seen remote cutoff pentodes such as the 1T4 used in
regenerative receivers. I'm guessing there is a good reason...perhaps
something to do with the decrease in gain with increasing signal
level...so that the pentode oscillator "fights" going into to
oscillation enough to give a very smooth transistion...rather than the
more abrupt transistion of some solid state circuits.

I know of no solid state equivalent (without some sort of AGC feedback
loop) for the remote cutoff pentode. Does anyone know if there is?

And speaking of the 1T4...has anyone played with these enough to give
me some ideas for using them in regenerative radios. I also wondering
how much you can starve the plate and still get good results in a
regen receiver.

Thanks

Bruce Kizerian
www.elmerdude.com