Old April 28th 10, 07:40 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
John Higdon[_2_] John Higdon[_2_] is offline

Default Disabilities and jobs in broadcasting

In article ,
13thdoctor wrote:

"RADIO" weather it be engineering,production,or talent Is an art and a
labor of love. When invented the thing all we really wanted to do was
play some music to our friends,tell them what the weather was doing
where we are and in a way all be in the same place at the same time
regardless of the acual distance between us.

In my opinion, many commercial stations have gone well above and beyond
the image of radio broadcasting, and insert themselves into their
communities at many levels, beyond playing "some music" and talking
about the weather. Some generate interest in local affairs,
entertainment venues, social interactions, and some even participate in
improving the overall business climate. In other words, some stations
are as much a part of their communities as the town square.

Sure, the greedy and grossly OVERSIZED commercial interests fueled by
the FCC's pressure to pay more money for every second of RF emission
has all but destroyed everything that radio was sopposed to be.

Broadcasters pay less for their spectrum than just about any other radio
service. This is in exchange for having a mandate to provide services
and assume a public trust that goes along with the spectrum they acquire.

Turning
the "dial" in to a sea of noise and pandering to pursuit of the dollar
almighty to a point that now the snake is eating its tail. no more DJs
just harddrive babysitters,no more fun for the listener and in most
stations today forget about the thrill and excitement of "THE SHOW"!

There was a time when radio listeners said, "We're tired of all this
talk; just play the music." Sometimes it pays to be careful what you
which for. Confining nostalgia to the days of the DJs is not only not
thinking out of the box, it ignores reality, since we still have many
DJs, both syndicated and local.

People with disabilities you ask? Well if you are hopeing to make a
living in radio then the game is up, But if you willing to LIVE radio
then i see no better oppertunity for a disabled individual to make a
difference in the world of RADIO.

You can do both. My life for over forty years has been radio. I have
made a good living doing radio. These are not mutually exclusive
endeavors.

Radio is to amuse,entertain and inform both the broadcaster and
listener! Not to lay golden eggs! Keep that in mind as you have now
been welcomed in to the world of Radio Broadcasting

Once again, these states are not mutually exclusive. Some of the most
successful stations in existence in terms of informing and entertain
audiences have also been among to most lucrative for their owners.

I, for one, have no trouble compensating those who do good work...and
compensating them well.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400