Old April 28th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Diversity antennas

Richard Clark wrote:
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:11:51 -0700 (PDT), Bill wrote:

how useful is the discussion to the average reader of r.r.a.a.?

Hi Bill,

Well, diversity antenna work is quite useful to the average reader - I
suppose (they haven't actually clamored for the discussion or
embroiled themselves in the topic, but you did couch this in terms of
"readers").

Sure, at least in a practical sense. I make use of diversity receivers
in wireless microphone work.

While these are used at UHF frequencies rather than HF, our problems are
more multipath, maybe picket fencing a bit.

So while I know better than to get into the definitions of diversity
antennas, given my meager abilities, my guess is that if one antenna
worked better than two - or merely worked at all, we'd be using just one.

Tom's pseudo stereo looks suspiciously like a wetware version of my
wireless systems,only that they vote, whereas his signal levels are too
low for that, so he does it in his head.

Unfortunately, if we divorced the two authors who fail to offer what
Diversity means, apart from what is already accepted in convention,
then we remove the entertainment value and "readership" would likely
decline.

That is for certain.

A paradox.

One of my favorite words.