Old April 29th 10, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Diversity antennas

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:51:35 -0700 (PDT), K1TTT
wrote:

that any way you combine the rf from two antennas into one you
lose the advantages of the diversity of the antennas.

I saw that bold statement as well, and then it was treated to a fog of
support.

At some point, the RF from two antennas must combine by the time it
hits our ears. That, or diversity reception means two people
listening to two sources and then matching notes - which means the RF
from the two antennas combine on the final page draft.

So, let me put this forward.
Two antennas
feeding two separate RF chain amplifiers
both chains mixed from a single LO
two separate mixers into IF chain amplifiers
--- somewhere they have to combine ----
two IFs into two detectors
two detectors into two separate audio chain amps
each audio chain driving a speaker element.

I have (gasp!) interpolated, interpreted, simply guessed, guessed
wrong, guessed right, about this single LO. Maybe it was in the
detector at the end of the IF chain. Whatever.

So, with this duality extending from antenna(s) to speaker(s), is the
prohibition against combining the RF from two antennas merely a
syllogism?

OK, backing up that chain to the concept of two separate RF chain
amplifiers. Lets just call it one RF chain amplifier or no RF
amplifiers and straight to a mixer. Is the prohibition at the
combining of RF from two antennas located at the mixer input? No
parallel connection?

This is getting ugly because it is not about diversity, and it is not
about antennas.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC