Old May 1st 10, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Meandering Antenna

On Sat, 01 May 2010 00:25:39 GMT, "VK2KC" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the Meandering Antenna or
Meandering Dipole, I have found an article in Pat Hawkers book but the
drawings are a bit hard to understand.
I have limited space and was considering building one for 7.1 mhz

Hi John,

It is deceptively simple, and excruciatingly difficult to both build,
or to describe. That is the wonder of "meander." Just by the English
alone, it should inform you that how do you duplicate the meander of a
drunk's walk? It's like trying to gracefully do a toe-to-heel amble
20 meters along a 12 meter long sidewalk. Imagine trying to follow
turn and distance instructions at the same time while the constabulary
are grading your performance.

There is no defined path length to the drunk's stagger, and there is
no defined length to a 7.1MHz Meander dipole. If it doesn't tune up
after you build it, then you did it wrong. In other words, it's an
academic joke.

Can't get much clearer than that.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC