Old May 1st 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Variac Transformer to HV transformer

On Apr 30, 9:02*pm, raypsi wrote:
*You can calculate the voltage drop of the wire in

your secondary with
the heap of a wire table.http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Hey OM:

That link to that table is ok. I learned building my own transformers.
Heat is the killer of any design.

What those tables don't tell you is the resistance increase caused by
heat which turns out to be run away in cases. It's like the resistance
goes up because of heat and this creates more heat increasing the
resistance further.

Leave a fudge factor in there, use the largest size wire possible

73 OM
de n8zu.

Im thinking 20 gauge enameled wire mostly because I think I have a
1000 ft roll in the attic. Not at all sure how well that is going to
fit on the core. I really want to get away from the voltage doubler in
favor of a bridge rectifier so I want to wind it for 1100 volts.

Jimmie