Old December 12th 03, 01:39 AM
kenneth scharf

Dr. A.T. Squeegee wrote:
In article ,
says...

My NiCad battery gave up the ghost in my HT for the second time. They only
seem to last a few years, at the most. I was wondering if I replace the
NiCad's with newer NMHi batteries can I use the same charger? Both type
batteries are about 1.2 volts when charged. But I'm not sure about their
charging requirements.

I seem to recall that NiMH batteries can use the same chargers as
NiCd. HOWEVER -- LiON batteries cannot.

I'm sure others will correct me if I screwed up. ;-)

Some of those battery packs have more than 2 contacts, I think the
reason might
be extra internal compoenents that help detect when the charger should
shut down.
A NMHi battery pack made to replace a NiCd for a specific radio might
have the
correct network in it to work with the original charger.