Old May 4th 10, 02:51 AM posted to ba.broadcast,rec.radio.broadcasting
blank blank is offline

Default ABC Lays Off 1/3 of Staff

On May 3, 2:11 pm, (David Kaye) wrote:
As of Friday, ABC (the TV people, who also provide coverage to Citadel's

ABC
Radio network) laid off 1/3 of its workforce.

I could never understand why ABC had to have separate bureaus from their

O&O
stations. Now, I guess they won't. A 1/3 cut in staff is dramatic.

Even
Brian Rooney was let go. The NY Times reports that their London bureau

, which
covers much of Europe has gone from 100 people to about a dozen today.

I'm reading a story from a 1934 radio magazine when the networks began
building their news staffs. Prior to that time, the networks didn't
have much of a news presence. Newspapers hated the competition so much

that
they began de-listing the networks from their daily radio program listing

s.
There was actualy a time when newspapers dropped radio coverage except fo

their own stations if they had them. My how times have changed.

I wonder if there were any changes that might explain the technical
difficulty which had KGO repeating insurance ads and promos at the
beginning of Brian Copeland's Sunday show...They tried to start the
bumper music a bunch of times, with no host voice following, and a few
times with someone mumbling of technical difficulty, then lots of
repeated spots....took 25 minutes to get the show started.