Old May 4th 10, 02:52 AM posted to ba.broadcast,rec.radio.broadcasting
Mark Howell Mark Howell is offline

Default ABC Lays Off 1/3 of Staff

On Mon, 3 May 2010 17:11:04 EDT, (David Kaye)
wrote:

I'm reading a story from a 1934 radio magazine when the networks began
building their news staffs. Prior to that time, the networks didn't
have much of a news presence. Newspapers hated the competition so much that
they began de-listing the networks from their daily radio program listings.
There was actualy a time when newspapers dropped radio coverage except for
their own stations if they had them. My how times have changed.

As recently as 1980, the news staff at KMJ, Fresno was forbidden from
reporting any local news that had not already appeared in the co-owned
Fresno Bee. By a year or two later, some stiff competition had put an
end to that. McClatchy Newspapers later sold off its broadcast
holdings.

Mark Howell